Peppermint is among the unique ingredients used in products as a solution to many health problems. However, peppermint has more benefits when used as an essential oil. Peppermint has a substance called, menthol, responsible for its distinctive taste, smell, and cooling sensation. You can leave peppermint oil on your hair overnight. When it comes to using it in your hair locs, you may wonder if it is good and what benefits it has.
Is Peppermint oil Good for Locs?
Yes, peppermint oil is good for dreadlocks, it increases blood flow to the scalp, stimulating hair growth. Peppermint oil also removes excess oils and odors, leaving your locks smelling good and feeling clean.
Advantages of peppermint oil on your Dreadlocks
Peppermint oil is one of the best essential oils for your locs because it promotes hair growth. Peppermint oil contains minerals, iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A and C. These components are all essential in your dreadlocks’ growth, maintenance, and overall beauty.
For dreadlocks enthusiasts growing or increasing the length of your locs is probably your main goal.
Since dreadlocks are natural protective styles, you want to keep off chemicals that might ruin your natural look.
Peppermint oil is among the popular essential oils recommended for people with dreadlocks.
peppermint oil contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
This means the oil can help in relieving and preventing any incidences of muscle spasms. Because most people with dreadlocks stay up to weeks without washing or retouching, It can help kill or inhibit bacteria and fungus in your dreadlocks.
The inflammatory property helps reduce any redness, swelling, and pain on your scalp that may be caused by the stressing of the locs.
Peppermint oil is therapeutic and refreshing.
The menthol property gives a cool and refreshing feeling on your scalp. It cleanses the scalp leaving your locs feeling clean after working out or being out in the sun.
It removes sweat, dead skin, and hair product buildup, making it difficult for your dreadlocks to grow.
Peppermint as an Astringent closes the scalp pores and tightens the skin, which reduces the production of oil in the scalp.
Adds scent and removes terrible odors
With all the dust and contaminants that might get into your locs, they might end up smelling unpleasant.
The good cool scent from the compound menthol will keep your dreadlocks smelling fresh and fabulous all day.
Using a combination of peppermint products and rosewater on your locks will keep them moisturized and smelling nice.
Peppermint oil contains a repellent property
You might get head lice from a person or come in contact with a contaminated place or cloth. Using this oil will deal with the bugs problem right away.
It is a hair growth treatment
According to Toxicological Research by Korean Science, peppermint oil increases the number and depth of follicles, promoting hair growth in length and volume.
Menthol, the main component in peppermint oil, is known to increase blood flow and circulation on your scalp.
Microvascular Research states that menthol causes blood vessels to widen, which increases blood flow.
Studies show that better blood circulation of blood to the skin could stimulate more hair growth.
The improvement of follicle depth and number makes your locs grow stronger and deeper, preventing hair loss and reducing breakage.
Additionally, peppermint essential can be used to treat balding and improve your damaged hairlines.
Peppermint improves the conditions of the scalp by controlling dandruff, itchiness, flakiness, and acne. These conditions can be experienced during the locking stage of your dreadlocks. Using the oil will stimulate the scalp and reduce these conditions.
Moisturizing your locs
A dry scalp is among conditions you might experience, especially if you avoid oil products with chemicals.
Applying peppermint oil mixed with avocado oil and coconut oil will moisturize your scalp and locs.
Keeping your scalp moisturized is essential to promote healthy locs and prevent scalp conditions.
Other advantages of peppermint oil include:
- It restores the PH of your scalp.
- Improve your mood. When used as a massage oil on your scalp, it is known to help release stress and improve your mental state.
- Minimizes tensions and headaches.
How to Use Peppermint Oil on Your Dreadlocks
Peppermint oil is essential for the maintenance of your dreadlocks. It is, however, vital to people dealing with conditions that might need solutions offered by the oil. Peppermint essential can be used by people dealing with:
- Dry scalp
- Greasy locs
- Severe itchiness and dandruff
- Bad smell
- Bugs such as lice
- Congested hair
- Dull locs that need a shining effect.
It is crucial to note that since most or all essentials are highly concentrated, it is recommended that one should use them in tiny amounts and also dilute them in another substance.
Specifically, peppermint oil contains a cooling sensation that might be too much or itchy to sensitive skins.
Peppermint essential oil for dreadlocks is used in two main ways:
Mix 3 % peppermint essential oil with your favorite massage oil or carrier oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, jojoba. Massage your scalp gently and softly with the mixture.
Due to the cooling effect of the peppermint oil, you will feel the cooling tingling sensation. Leave it, and after 20 minutes, wash your dreadlocks with shampoo.
Mix With Shampoo and Wash
Give your shampoo or conditioner a boost by adding a few drops of peppermint product. This means you use the essential oil directly with your shampoo while washing your dreadlocks.
This will give you a double set of benefits in your dreadlocks maintenance routine.
Mixing your peppermint essential oil with other oils reduces the toxicity of the high concentration. To get better results in your hair growth, mix your peppermint oil with castor oil to achieve your dreadlock dream length and volume.
Peppermint Health Risks and Precautions
Like any other essential oil, Peppermint essential can be sensitive to some scalp skin and have side effects. The oil should therefore be used with precaution and care.
First, let’s look at who should not use the peppermint oil on their dreadlocks:
- Pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers should take precautions before using the oil on their locs. It is recommended that they should seek their doctor’s advice. However, the oil is also known for reducing nausea in pregnant women.
- Young children should not use peppermint oil on their dreadlocks.
- Those with sensitive scalps. If the peppermint tingling sensation is uncomfortable to your scalp, you should avoid using it in your locs.
The following are precautions when using peppermint essential oil on the skin:
- Don’t consume the peppermint essential oil orally. This would result in serious side effects such as heartburn and vomiting.
- Dilute Your peppermint essential oil to enjoy the benefits with minimum risk. Diluting reduces the toxicity of the concentration. You can use carrier oils or other relevant substances to dilute for your dreadlock’s use.
- Use in small amounts. Just like any other essential oil, peppermint oil should be used in drops. It is toxic if used in large doses. The toxicity in peppermint oil is brought by a compound called pulegone.
- Peppermint oil can cause skin irritation. To be on the safe side, always dilute your peppermint oil to prevent the burning sensation on your scalp skin. If you continue having skin reactions, you should consult the doctor first before using it on your scalp.
- Do not get the essential oils in your eyes. They are concentrated and, even when diluted, are still sensitive to your eyes. Be careful as you apply or massage your dreadlocks not to get it on your eyes.
- Always check the pack labels when you buy your Peppermint essential oils. Take note of the ingredients and the instructions on how to use them. Most importantly, Make sure the oil has no side effects on skin contact.
- Do a patch test before use. The first step to finding out if the oil will benefit you or not is doing a patch test on the skin. The test will tell if you are allergic to peppermint oil. You can apply a diluted peppermint oil at the back of your ear and stay with it overnight to ensure it is safe for your scalp.
Remember to achieve a clean and healthy environment for the growth of your dreadlocks; you should use peppermint oil regularly and make sure you mix it with other relevant oils for better results.